State Bank of India (SBI) one of the most popular banks across our country serving over more than 40 crore customers. Unlike other banks, SBI also is managed by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).In case if you are not happy with the bank service or intentionally you want to close an account due to any reason this guide is for you.
In this post, we will learn how you can close your bank account in SBI along with few important points. We will discuss this in few seconds.
FACT: you can not close your SBI account online. you have to visit your home branch where you opened your bank account.
Before moving to the process of closing an account in State Bank of India let’s focus on important points you should remember before closing an account in SBI.
Things to keep ready before closing bank account in SBI
There are certain bank products or items you need to submit in order to close an account. SBI provides them when you open an account or later.
- SBI Debit ATM card
- Pass Book
- SBI Cheque Book
Make sure you keep these items handy before proceeding to close your account.
|Read Also Application for Bank Account Statement|
Important points you should remember before closing an account in SBI
There are few important points that you should not ignore. you can go through them below once before proceeding further.
- You can not re-open your SBI account again.
- All the pending dues should be cleared before closing your SBI account.
- You need to make your account balance 0 before account closure.
- Cancel all Auto debit facility from your account like loan deduction, any Policy auto deduction etc.
- You can keep complete Bank statement of your account for any future reference.
Now we know the points to keep in mind. lets know the steps to close your SBI account.
|Read Also How to know SBI Account Number|
How to close SBI account? Follow the steps below
- Visit your SBI home Branch.
- Request the SBI account closure form from the bank officials or you can download the SBI account closure form from the SBI website.
- Once you have downloaded the form, fill in by entering all the details mentioned below.
- Name of the account holder
- Account number
- Signature of the account holder
- Address including City, State, and PIN number
- Reasons for closing the account
- The balance remaining in the account if any
- Transfer the remaining balance through DD, Cheque, Cash, or in another account.
- Now submit the form to the bank officials.
- After submitting the account closure form return the passbook, cheque book, Debit ATM card, provided by bank to to you.
- SBI branch may ask for your ID and address proof to authorize the correct person for this account.
- After successful verification, your account will be closed. you will get confirmation to your registered email and mobile number as well.
Account Closure Charges
|Up to 14 days of opening||Free|
|After 14 days up to 1 year of opening of account||Rs. 500 + GST|
|Beyond 1 year of opening of account||Free|
|Account closed on the settlement of accounts of deceased depositors||Free|
|Closure of regular SB account by BSBD account holders||Free|
We have seen how to close your bank account in SBI by following the above steps. I hope the information will be useful to you.
If you have any questions regarding this article you can ask in the below comment section. I will be happy to answer.